Job Title: Laborer 1 – Full-time (flexible schedule including some nights and weekends)
Department: Parks and Recreation Department
Division: Public Works
Salary: $12.00-$17.00 per hour
The Laborer 1 position is responsible for performing a variety of job tasks related to the operations, maintenance, safety, and security of Gilbert-Stephenson Park allowing its visitors and patrons to experience a safe and clean environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs a variety of grounds maintenance duties including mowing, weed eating, edging, blowing, pressure washing, and applying weed herbicide.
- Inspects and monitors playground, pool, pavilions, buildings, tennis courts, walking trails, and park grounds to maintain safe conditions and prevent damage/ vandalism.
- Reports any repairs required for safety or security reasons; Acts as a liaison for on-going activities; identifies and reports safety hazards, including structural damage and equipment issues to supervisory staff. Utilizes departmental incident form and documents in writing all incidents and injuries occurring on City park property.
- Assists people in the park with questions and concerns; Communicates park rules and regulations.
- Cleans restrooms and replenishes supplies.
- Assists with coordination of work tasks for community service workers.
- Performs opening and closing procedures at various park and facility locations.
- Collects and disposes of trash and debris on City Park property.
- Assists with community-based organizations when using City parks and facilities.
- Performs basic maintenance repairs on buildings and equipment.
- Lifts, moves, and places heavy equipment at various park locations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of materials, methods, practices, and equipment used in grounds maintenance, landscaping, and building maintenance.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards of the trade and safety practices.
- Ability to use simple hand and power tools.
- Ability to exert continuous physical effort including frequent bending, walking, manipulating and heavy lifting of equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform routine, repetitive tasks on a continuous basis.
- Ability to communicate respectfully and effectively with the public, co-workers, and administration.
- Decisions are made within general City and departmental policies and procedures, but occasionally require independent decision-making.
High School diploma or equivalent required. Must be at least 18 years old. Previous work experience involving park supervision and/or maintenance preferred. Valid Driver’s License required.
The work is heavy work and requires balancing, climbing, crawling, crouching, feeling, grasping, handling, hearing, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, stooping, talking, visual acuity, and walking.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILTIES: – Occasionally supervises volunteers and community service workers.
Director of Public Works
HOURS OF JOB:
Flexible schedule including some nights and weekends.
E-Verify User ID#140692
Authorization Date: 07/30/08
Get alerted about emergencies and other important community information by signing up for the Everbridge Mass Notification Program.
City Hall Address:
500 City Hall Drive
Fort Oglethorpe, GA 30742