Job Title: Garage Mechanic/Truck Driver
Division: Public Works
Salary: $15.00-$22.50 per hour
This position is responsible for skilled mechanical repair work for all city equipment and vehicles. Must carry a valid CDL license and be responsible for operation of dump truck, street sweepers, etc.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform skilled automotive mechanical work in the maintenance and repair of a wide variety of diesel and gasoline powered vehicles and auxiliary equipment with electronic components including vans with lifts, passenger buses, dump trucks, sweepers, automobiles and pickup trucks.
- Services city vehicles for regular maintenance.
- Repairs and overhauls mechanical components on buses, automobiles, specialized and multipurpose trucks and other departmental equipment.
- Inspect, test, adjust, repair and replace complete or integral parts of diesel and gasoline engines, transmissions, etc.
- Tests repairs, or rebuilds diesel engines and components, including injectors.
- Diagnoses malfunctions and adjusts engine, fuel, electrical and mechanical system to specifications including electronic fuel injection systems and electronically controlled transmissions.
- Perform routine preventive maintenance such as tune-up, brake repair, tire replacement & rotation. Replacement of external engine components, including but not limited to alternators, water pumps, batteries, etc.
- Operate trucks and various pieces of equipment safely and efficiently.
- Perform minor vehicle and equipment maintenance (e.g. clean, oil, fuel and grease equipment.
- Haul material such as fill, stone, gravel or asphalt to be used in repairing structures, patching and construction.
- Perform manual labor in the repair, maintenance and construction of road and right-of-ways.
- Pick up and deliver supplies and equipment.
- Perform manual labor, such as shoveling, digging, flagging, loading and unloading material, etc.
- Perform other duties and direction deemed necessary for the efficient operation of the Streets, Parks, and Recreation Department.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the tools, equipment, and technology used in the repair and maintenance o-f automotive and related equipment.
- Ability to diagnose mechanical, electrical, and electronic failures.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions and adverse terrains.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a teamwork environment.
- Ability to learn new technology and terminology of modern automotive equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisor, co-workers, and other city employees.
- Ability to obtain Commercial Driver’s License (DCL).
• A high school diploma or equivalent
• One (1) year of related experience
• Valid Class A or B CDL license and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR)
• ASE certification
• Equivalent combination of education and experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work is typically performed while standing, walking, bending, crouching and stooping. The employee must frequently lift light and heavy objects, use tools and equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity. Work involves exposure to weather conditions, slippery surfaces, chemicals, etc.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILTIES: –None.
HOURS OF JOB:
Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
E-Verify User ID#140692
Authorization Date: 07/30/08
Get alerted about emergencies and other important community information by signing up for the Everbridge Mass Notification Program.
City Hall Address:
500 City Hall Drive
Fort Oglethorpe, GA 30742