Job Title: Parks and Recreation Director
Department: Parks and Recreation
The City of Fort Oglethorpe seeks an energetic, creative, visionary professional to lead our efforts to establish Fort Oglethorpe as a leading parks and recreational destination for all ages and incomes.
This position is responsible for creating and implementing a comprehensive recreation program for our community that maximizes the usage of our recreational assets including a gymnasium with indoor batting cages, basketball courts, and volleyball capabilities; Gilbert-Stephenson Park with a public pool, playground, tennis courts, walking track, and multi-use trails; and an outdoor baseball complex with five baseball fields, concessions, and restroom facilities. This position coordinates large-scale, regional, or state sports tournaments and has fiduciary responsibilities. The Parks and Recreation Director is also responsible for maintaining city parks including recreational trails, canoe launches, Honor Park, Frank Gleason Park, and a dog park.
The Parks and Recreation Director reports to the City Manager and partners with the Fort Oglethorpe Recreation Board (five-member board appointed by the City Council) that serves as an advisory and fundraising board to the City’s parks and recreation program.
• Develops and administers recreation programs based on the needs of the community and availability of assets and measures program success;
• Develops mission, goals, objectives, and key performance indicators for the city’s recreation program;
• Maintains partnerships with the Catoosa County Recreation Department, the Catoosa County Public School System’s athletics departments, the Great White Sharks swim team, and other local and regional athletic associations;
• Plans, directs, and supervises employees in the maintenance of city parks and recreational facilities and develops/oversees proper usage guidelines;
• Oversees capital projects related to parks and recreation such as the renovation of the playground at Gilbert Stephenson Park and completion of a community dog park;
• Determines work procedures, evaluates workflow and process, and standardizes processes and procedures;
• Evaluates the performance of assigned staff;
• Ensures that all operations are performed according to city policies, procedures, and ordinances as well as state and federal laws;
• Develops and administers departmental budget, collects and accounts for revenues, maintains concessions inventories, and accounts for city-owned equipment;
• Prepares agendas and minutes for Fort Oglethorpe Recreation Board monthly meetings and attends all meetings;
• Develops and implements various sports tournaments;
• Develops and recommends parks and recreational policies to the City Manager and City Council;
• Coordinates fundraisers; and
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of management practices in the field of recreation;
• Knowledge of personnel management, progressive disciplinary policies, and state and federal guidelines;
• Knowledge of local government financial practices, budgeting, and purchasing procedures;
• Knowledge of city codes, ordinances, resolutions, policies, and guidelines regarding the city’s recreation organization and operations;
• Knowledge of safety procedures;
• Skill in preparing and administering recreation budgets;
• Skill in planning, organizing, staffing, and directing the efficient and effective delivery of city recreation programs and functions through subordinate staff;
• Ability to establish priorities and direct the allocation of departmental resources;
• Ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner in verbal and written communications;
• Ability to analyze and solve problems in a timely manner using practical solutions;
• Ability to set and achieve goals;
• Ability to meet deadlines by complying with quality standards and focusing on organizational goals;
• Ability to confront and solve problems quickly; and
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, city officials and the public.
• A high school diploma or equivalent; and
• At least five years of experience in recreation programming and employee supervision.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in a sports management, business, public administration, or related field is preferred.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license.
• Must have or obtain a Certified Pool Operator certification within 12 months of hire.
• Must have or obtain Playground Maintenance Certification within 12 months of hire.
Supervisor Responsibility: Yes
The Recreation Director oversees two full-time and 11 part-time staff including:
• One full-time Recreation Supervisor;
• One full-time Laborer I – III positions;
• One part-time Laborer I – III position;
• One part-time, seasonal Pool Supervisor; and
• Nine part-time, seasonal lifeguards.
This position is appointed by the City Manager and ratified by the Mayor and City Council.
This position reports to the City Manager.
Hours of Job:
• Monday – Friday 7am -4pm
• On-Call 24/7
• These days and hours may vary according to staffing, administrative, or any department needs.
Required: Interested candidates must include a resume and cover letter along with the application for the Parks and Recreation Director position.
City of Fort Oglethorpe
The City of Fort Oglethorpe is accepting applications for certified lifeguards for the 2019 swim season. Certifications must be current. Applicant must also have current CPR certification. Applicants must pass a physical and drug screen. Applications may be picked up at the Fort Oglethorpe Municipal Building Complex, Mon-Fri., 8am thru 4:30pm or obtained online at www.fortogov.com. Applications should be returned to Carol Murray, City Clerk, at 500 City Hall Drive, Fort Oglethorpe, GA 30742. Positions are open until filled. The City of Fort Oglethorpe is an equal opportunity employer.
City of Fort Oglethorpe, Streets, Parks and Recreation
TRUCK DRIVER/HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR
The City of Fort Oglethorpe is accepting applications for a full time truck driver/heavy equipment operator. This position is responsible for skilled work for operating city equipment. Successful applicant must be able to operate dump trucks, street sweepers, etc. Minimum requirements are high school diploma or GED; one (1) year of related work experience; valid Class A or B CDL license and a satisfactory motor vehicle record (MVR).
The City of Fort Oglethorpe offers retirement, uniforms, annual and sick leave, insurance and several paid holidays. A physical and drug screen required. Applications may be picked up in the Human Resources Department at the Fort Oglethorpe City Hall, 500 City Hall Drive, Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia on Monday thru Friday
from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or at www.fortogov.com. Position is open until filled. The City of Fort Oglethorpe is an equal opportunity employer.
Building Inspector/Zoning Compliance
Department: Building, Planning & Zoning
1. Job Summary:
This position is responsible for on-site inspections of commercial and residential properties in the city of Fort Oglethorpe including investigation of potential violations and the enforcement of the City of Fort Oglethorpe municipal codes, ordinances and regulations, ensuring that all new construction, alterations to existing structures and installation of mobile homes complies with International Building Codes and Fort Oglethorpe adopted codes and standards.
2. Major Duties:
• Responsible for ensuring that all new construction, alterations to existing structures and installation of mobile homes complies with International Building Codes and Fort Oglethorpe adopted codes and standards.
• Investigates complaints of violations of city code, appropriate zoning ordinances, sign regulation and related laws, ordinances or codes; issues violations, citations, correction notices, and stop work orders to ensure compliance; conducts follow-up investigations to ensure compliance with applicable codes and ordinances; presents violation in court as needed.
• Meets with owners, tenants, contractors, developers, businesses, etc., to review and explain zoning code requirement or building code requirement violations and/or potential violations; secure code compliance.
• Operates a city vehicle and conducts daily combination inspections at residential, commercial and industrial construction sites.
• Post public signs for activities including annexation, rezoning, subdivision or property and variances when necessary.
• Prepares written reports of inspections, issue letters as specified by department procedures.
• Responsible for ensuring efficient review of plans and specifications and by ensuring prompt, fair and accurate inspections of work in progress.
• Inspects sediment and stormwater management facilities at commercial, residential and industrial sites.
• Ability to exhibit good judgment and discretion and adhere to guidelines when processing sensitive and/or confidential information.
• Able to efficiently and appropriately, with little supervision, prioritize assignments and complete tasks for department.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
3. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
• Possess knowledge and work experience required to perform the job.
• Ability to deal effectively and efficiently with the general public and other governmental offices.
• Ability to provide positive guidance and direction for department.
• Ability to receive and resolve citizen complaints.
• Skill in verbal and written communication.
• High attention to detail work and accurate follow-through for departmental goals.
• Ability to work efficiently and complete tasks and projects with frequent unscheduled interruptions.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Ability to exhibit judgment and discretion and make independent decisions.
• Ability to work effectively in a teamwork environment.
• Able to work in outdoor environment able to traverse uneven terrains during performance of duties.
• Able to climb, bend, stoop during the performance of inspections.
• Valid Driver’s License required.
4. Minimum Qualifications
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Experience in code enforcement or an inspection-related position
• Possesses or ability to obtain within one (1) year of hire ICC, International Property Maintenance
and Housing Inspector
• Possesses or ability to obtain within one (1) year of hire ICC, International Residential Inspector
5. Supervisory Responsibility: No
6. Supervisor: Department Director
7. Hours of job: Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
One hour lunch.
Hourly rate DOQ — $ 14 – $21.50/ hour
Certified Police Officers
The City of Fort Oglethorpe is an equal opportunity employer
E-Verify User ID#140692
Authorization Date: 07/30/08
Get alerted about emergencies and other important community information by signing up for the Everbridge Mass Notification Program.
City Hall Address:
500 City Hall Drive
Fort Oglethorpe, GA 30742